Wednesday 13 June 2007

Preamble

I watch a lot of films. My target is generally 3 a week, one in the cinema and two on DVD. I made that in 2006, thanks to some periods of unemployment. I'm well behind in 2007, although I'm not intending to take time off work to catch up. I have about 100 unwatched DVDs here.

My recent obsessions have been Kurosawa and Bergman (watched nearly all of their films), French golden period - Carne, Renoir, etc - plus Melville and Clouzot, lots of European independent films, and some American indie too - Coen brothers. Also Preston Sturges, Billy Wilder, Buster Keaton...

Currently I'm working my way through German expressionists (Lang, Murnau), and need to polish off Fellini, get deep into Herzog, and assorted other temptations such as a Keaton boxed set, lots of films noirs, Louis Malle... Future projects include Japanese (Ozu, Mizoguchi), more Italian and French, Spanish, and Russian - Tarkovsky, Eisenstein, etc.

No comments: